Forum

IMPORTANT !

To automatically receive an email when someone posts something on the forum you have to select the option “New topics and posts” in the subscription settings.

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

characteristic blocky/bulliform?

Dear all

I have been finding this same phytolith morphotype, whose shape is consistent and characteristic.

At first I thought it was a blocky or bulliform cell, but the constant and repetitive appearance of the same shape made me think that it could actually be something else, and belong to a specific plant species / family.

I wonder if anyone in the community has come across the same morphotype and knows its plant origin.

The phytoliths come from 70,000-year-old archaeological deposits in South Africa.

Looking forward to your input and ideas

All the best

Irene

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Hi Irene,

I agree that it is not a bulliform and appears to have a distinctive morphology. I would look a seeds from members of the Commelinaceae. Check out Fig 3f from Eichhorn et al 2010: 10.1016/j.palaeo.2010.10.004. It's not a match with Murdannia simplex but it has some affinity. If your unknown is from the Commelinaceae, I think a key feature is going to be the concave top, whereas most of the seed phytoliths from Eichhorn et al have convex tops or domes with a concavity, except for Murdannia. The Eichhorn et al study was a great start, but there are a lot more taxa within the Commelinaceae that need to be looked at for distinctive and diagnostic phytoliths.  Good luck! ~Chad

Irene Esteban has reacted to this post.
Irene Esteban

Hi Chad

Thank you so much for your response and ideas, which are very helpful, as always!

All the best

Irene