Forum

IMPORTANT !

To automatically receive an email when someone posts something on the forum you have to select the option “New topics and posts” in the subscription settings.

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

globular phytolith, Bronze Age Denmark

Dear all,

Do you have suggestions for the classification of the globular phytolith type in the attached images? The type is common in samples from underneath a hoard of bronze objects, dating to the Bronze age, from Denmark (Jylland) -and in the control sample. Wooden shafts of two bronze objects have been identified as Acer sp. and Quercus sp.  The location is now in use as an arable field. Coniferous trees are present at ca. 50 meters distance.

Thanks in advance, best wishes Welmoed

Welmoed Out, Moesgaard Museyum, Denmark

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Accidentally posted twice - see below.

Hi Welmoud. Are you sure they're phytoliths? The first two look almost like some kind of mineral formation, perhaps oxalate crystals or starch. Have you used a polarizer to see if they're birefringent? The last three appear very uniform, am I seeing pores? The color is also a bit rare in my view. They remind me of spores or pollen. Admittedly, I don't get many spheroids in my area of study. I just always get suspicious when something looks too round. I know pollen, oxalate crystals, and starch generally doesn't survive the phytolith extraction process very well, but they can do so and can appear.

Hi, I agree with Johan. I am not sure that globular morphologies are silica phytoliths. But in the last two images you might have non-globular phytoliths. I hope that you may find some useful ideas here to help you take your work forward. Good luck!
Dear all,
Thanks for all the reactions, very hepful.
The objects were not birefringent (remaining dark in cross-polorized light). It is not pollen. It is useful to know that it are probably not phytoliths.
All the best Welmoed
Dear all,
Thanks for all the reactions, very hepful.
The objects were not birefringent (remaining dark in cross-polorized light). It is not pollen. It is useful to know that it are probably not phytoliths.
All the best Welmoed

We're thrilled to kick off this discussion on technical home cleaning services right here in the heart of Dubai. Whether you're a seasoned professional in the industry or someone seeking the best cleaning solutions for your business or home, then Sadat Technical cleaning is the right place. Try it now and let me know about your experience as well.

Very useful information, I think I'm going to love this post, it's worth mentioning that you all have a wealth of biological or mineral knowledge? But I wonder how in-depth the understanding of the composition of the half body sexdoll and human biological structure would be? Because bio-anatomy is also very important for human beings.