Forum

IMPORTANT !

To automatically receive an email when someone posts something on the forum you have to select the option “New topics and posts” in the subscription settings.

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Sodium polytungstate - finding a source for it in the USA

Hi all,

I am trying to find a source for SPT in the USA that will not break the bank! The quotes from Fisher were expensive for a very small quantity. When in Europe I would get it from Sometu (1kg powder) for c.$400, and I was wondering where people source SPT from in the UA.

Many thanks
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

All heavy liquids have increased significantly in price in the USA over the past 5 years. I most often use lithium metatungstate (LMT). In my opinion, it produces a much cleaner separation than SPT for many soil types, is more stable, and is easier to recycle. Here is my source: https://www.lmtliquid.com/price-and-order-information.html

Chad Yost

mlaurabenvenuto has reacted to this post.
mlaurabenvenuto

Hi Chad,

Does this product you indicate present any toxicity problem? Is there a need for protective equipment and an exhaust hood during the use?

Marcia Calegari

mlaurabenvenuto

Hi Marcia,

LMT is just as safe and perhaps safer than STP. It is odorless and does not require a fume hood. Only standard lab PPE is advised (gloves, eye protection). However, when mixing dry powders you should use a fume hood. I always purchase it in liquid form. Since tungsten is a heavy metal, you should put any rinsate you do not want to recycle into a waste container for disposal (as you would for any heavy liquid).

Chad

mlaurabenvenuto

Thanks Chad!